Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Wearable Art








How did you use your own unique ideas in your work? Yes, I designed this 3 piece set of jewelry after I came up with the theme "bath time". After thinking of three mini parts of a child's bath time I decided to create art that represented it. So when I made my bubble necklace I wanted to make it out of a soft and clear material and oddly enough I chose glue. Then for the boat necklace I decided a sturdy material would be preferable. So I made each tiny ship out of clay and painted them with acrylic to give them bold colors. The third one, which was rubber duck themed was my favorite because I twirled yellow ribbons around it

Did you use a source for inspiration, then combine it with your own ideas to make it original? I didn't exactly have a source of inspiration, I kind of started with an idea and began to branch off from there carefully planning each part of the project, treating it as a separate entity.



Did you learn new techniques or processes as part of the work for this project? Yes, I created new ways of using everyday art materials and I found I really like these methods. I was able to create circular dots that looked like beads out of hot glue and used everyday wire to make rings that connected them. I had never made rings out of wire to connect beads before and it was an interesting method, a bit hard, but all in all very fun. I was also able to use wires in much more interesting ways, such as with the rubber duck necklace. I twisted the wires to give them each a design of their own.

Did you gain skill with familiar materials? Yes, since I used to make my own jewelry very frequently I thought I had gotten every process down, but apparently that was not the case because I had not gotten much chance to use different wires and metals, I was not able to use them to their full ability. With this project I was able to play with the different ways to use wire and figure out how to incorporate it into my project nicely. Over the course of the project I gained new skills with the materials and was able to successfully put them to good use.

No comments:

Post a Comment