Thursday, May 15, 2014

Relief Art

Questions
How did you use your own unique ideas in your work?
incorporated my own ideas into my work by first considering what topic I wanted to communicate through it and then figuring out how I wanted to present it. I decided to start out with throwing out ideas and began to think of a deceased dragon whose body was sunken into the dried dirt and I worked my way from there. After I sculpted the head I wanted the bottom plate to have texture so I used paper that I shredded with water in a blender as a carpet for it. And I covered it in glue to make it shine slightly. In order to show growth even after death I decided to use colorful flowers. I twined fake red flowers into a crown for him to wear and make some "sprout" from the dried lava.
Did you use a source for inspiration, then combine it with your own ideas to make it original?
I think I got the inspiration for flowers on  skull from the Day of the dead in mexico. I've often seen art celebrating that holiday with skulls and flowers and I think it popped into my mind.  But I also used my own ideas with the different mediums mixed together and the overall layout of the piece.
Questions
When did you step back and analyze you work during this project? 
Every time I added something new to my piece I sat down and looked it over to make sure this is precisely what I wanted to do with it. I also considered the location of the piece before creating it in hopes that I would stay on track and keep the overall image for the project in mind.

Did you consider how ideas would work before you tried them?
I first considered the location of my piece, and the theme I wanted. Then I tried to find a style that matched both of those ideals. I felt that hollowing the skull would also make it less heavy and it did. then I decided to paint it to add color with only blacks and whites. I liked how those ideas turned out and Im glad I put thought into it before hand. It really helped influence the way I created this piece because I was able to consider all possibilities and test them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment